Finding the right tutor for your child is important. There are a many tutoring programs and private tutors out there. If I was looking for a Maths tutor for my child, I would want a Maths tutor who:
- Knows their stuff.
- Can relate to my child.
- Has a working with children check.
- Has experience tutoring school students.
- Has at least 10 good testimonials from students and/or parents.
- Will let me sit in on the lesson if the tutoring takes place in their home.
- Will help my child with specifically what they need help with.
- Will set homework at the end of each lesson.
- Will check the homework in the next lesson.
- Will give me feedback at the end of each lesson.
- Will encourage my child even if they get the wrong answers.
These are the key qualifications, qualities and personal traits that I would look for in a Maths tutor. This is only the starting place and over time I would assess how my child was liking the tutoring and how much they were improving and either continue with the tutoring or look again for another tutor.